What to Wear White Water Rafting in Colorado
White water rafting is a thrilling adventure that allows you to navigate through rapids and experience the beauty of nature. If you are planning a white water rafting trip in Colorado, knowing what to wear is essential to ensure your comfort and safety. Here are some tips on what to wear for your Colorado white water rafting adventure.
1. Choose a swimsuit or quick-drying shorts: Since you will be getting wet, wearing a swimsuit or quick-drying shorts is ideal. Avoid wearing cotton as it takes a long time to dry and can make you feel uncomfortable.
2. Wear a rash guard or a quick-drying shirt: A rash guard or a quick-drying shirt will protect your skin from the sun and provide an extra layer of insulation when the water is cold.
3. Don’t forget a hat and sunglasses: Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a hat and sunglasses. Opt for sunglasses with straps to ensure they stay on during the rafting journey.
4. Wear water shoes or sandals with straps: Proper footwear is essential for white water rafting. Choose water shoes or sandals with straps to prevent them from coming off in the water.
5. Layer up with a wetsuit or drysuit: If you are rafting during colder months or in glacial-fed rivers, consider wearing a wetsuit or drysuit to keep yourself warm. These suits provide insulation and protection from the cold water.
6. Bring a waterproof jacket: In case of rain or splashing water, it is always a good idea to have a waterproof jacket to keep you dry and warm.
7. Wear sunscreen: Apply sunscreen generously before your rafting trip. Even on cloudy days, the sun’s rays can be intense, and you don’t want to end up with a sunburn.
8. Avoid wearing jewelry: It is advisable to leave your valuable or sentimental jewelry at home. Loose jewelry can get lost in the water, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
9. Consider a helmet and a life jacket: Most rafting tour companies provide helmets and life jackets. Make sure to wear them as they are crucial for your safety during the rafting experience.
10. Bring a change of clothes: After your exhilarating rafting adventure, you will likely be wet and possibly muddy. Pack a change of clothes and a towel to dry off and feel comfortable afterward.
11. Consider renting gear: If you don’t have the necessary gear for white water rafting, many tour companies offer rentals. This way, you can ensure you have the appropriate equipment for a safe and enjoyable experience.
Common Questions and Answers:
1. Do I need to know how to swim to go white water rafting?
No, but wearing a life jacket is mandatory for everyone.
2. Can I wear a cotton t-shirt for rafting?
It is not recommended as cotton takes a long time to dry and can make you feel cold.
3. Can I wear flip-flops for white water rafting?
No, it is not safe to wear flip-flops as they can easily come off in the water. Opt for water shoes or sandals with straps.
4. Should I bring my own helmet and life jacket?
Most rafting tour companies provide helmets and life jackets, so it is not necessary to bring your own unless you prefer to do so.
5. Is it necessary to wear a wetsuit or drysuit?
Wearing a wetsuit or drysuit depends on the weather and water conditions. If rafting in colder months or glacial-fed rivers, it is advisable to wear one for insulation.
6. Can I wear a regular jacket instead of a waterproof jacket?
A regular jacket will not provide the necessary protection against rain or splashing water. It is recommended to wear a waterproof jacket.
7. Do I need to bring my own sunscreen?
It is always a good idea to bring your own sunscreen to ensure you have enough for the trip.
8. Can I wear my jewelry while rafting?
It is not advisable to wear jewelry as it can easily get lost in the water.
9. Can I wear my glasses during white water rafting?
It is best to wear sunglasses with straps to prevent them from falling off during the rafting journey.
10. Do I need to rent gear for white water rafting?
If you don’t have the necessary gear, many tour companies offer rentals to ensure you have the appropriate equipment.
11. Can I bring my camera or phone on the raft?
It is best to leave valuable electronics at home or in a waterproof case. Most tour companies provide a guide who can take photos for you.