What to Wear Sailing in the Summer
Sailing is a popular summer activity that allows you to enjoy the refreshing ocean breeze and stunning views of the open water. However, deciding what to wear while sailing can be a challenge. You want to be comfortable, protected, and stylish at the same time. So, here are some tips on what to wear while sailing in the summer.
1. Lightweight and Breathable Fabrics: Opt for clothing made of lightweight and breathable materials like cotton or linen. These fabrics will keep you cool and comfortable even in the heat.
2. Sun Protection: The sun can be harsh on the water, so protect your skin by wearing a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen with a high SPF.
3. Quick-Drying Clothing: There’s a chance you might get wet while sailing, so choose quick-drying clothing to avoid discomfort. Look for materials like nylon or polyester that dry quickly.
4. Swimwear: If you plan on taking a dip in the water, wear a swimsuit or swim trunks underneath your sailing attire for easy access.
5. Non-Slip Shoes: Wear closed-toe shoes with non-slip soles to ensure stability on the wet and slippery boat surfaces.
6. Layering: It’s a good idea to wear layers, as temperatures can change rapidly at sea. Start with a lightweight base layer and add a long-sleeved shirt or a light jacket for added warmth when needed.
7. Waterproof Gear: Pack a waterproof jacket or a windbreaker to protect yourself from unexpected rain or splashes from the sea.
8. Comfortable Shorts or Pants: Opt for comfortable shorts or pants that allow freedom of movement. Avoid wearing jeans or restrictive clothing that may hinder your mobility.
9. A Hat with a Chin Strap: Choose a hat with a chin strap to prevent it from flying off in the wind.
10. Minimal Jewelry: Avoid wearing valuable or delicate jewelry while sailing, as it may get lost or damaged.
11. A Dry Bag: Carry a small dry bag to protect your belongings like phones, cameras, and wallets from getting wet.
1. Can I wear flip-flops while sailing?
It is not recommended to wear flip-flops as they provide little support and may easily slip off.
2. Should I bring a towel?
Yes, it’s advisable to bring a towel for drying off after swimming or to sit on for added comfort.
3. Can I wear a dress while sailing?
Dresses can be worn, but make sure they are made of lightweight and non-restrictive fabrics.
4. Are there any specific colors I should avoid wearing?
Avoid wearing dark colors that absorb heat. Opt for light-colored clothing that reflects the sun’s rays.
5. Should I bring a change of clothes?
It’s always a good idea to have a change of clothes in case you get wet or need to freshen up.
6. Can I wear a life jacket over my clothes?
Yes, you can wear a life jacket over your clothes for added safety.
7. Should I wear a wetsuit while sailing?
Wetsuits are not necessary for regular sailing unless you plan on engaging in water sports or activities.
8. Can I wear a bikini while sailing?
Yes, a bikini or a swimsuit is suitable for sailing, especially if you plan on swimming.
9. Should I bring a hat if I am wearing a cap?
It’s always a good idea to have additional protection, so bringing a hat is a wise choice.
10. Can I wear makeup while sailing?
It is best to go for a minimal makeup look as the sun, wind, and water may affect your makeup.
11. Do I need to wear a life jacket at all times?
It is recommended to wear a life jacket while on the boat, especially if you are not a strong swimmer or in rough waters.
Sailing can be a fantastic experience, and with the right clothing, you can fully enjoy your time on the water. Remember to prioritize comfort, sun protection, and safety while choosing your sailing attire.