What to Wear Sailing in Summer
Sailing in the summer is a fantastic way to enjoy the warm weather and beautiful waters. Whether you are a seasoned sailor or a beginner, it’s important to dress appropriately for the occasion. Wearing the right clothing will not only keep you comfortable but also ensure your safety on the water. Here are some tips on what to wear when sailing in the summer.
1. Breathable Fabrics: Opt for clothing made from breathable fabrics such as cotton or linen. These materials allow air to circulate, keeping you cool and preventing sweat from building up.
2. Sun Protection: Protecting yourself from the sun is crucial while sailing. Wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and apply sunscreen to exposed areas of your body. Consider wearing lightweight long-sleeved shirts and pants for added protection.
3. Footwear: Choose non-slip, closed-toe shoes to provide stability on a moving boat. Avoid flip-flops or sandals, as they can be hazardous on a wet deck.
4. Layering: The weather can change quickly at sea, so it’s wise to dress in layers. Start with a lightweight base layer, add a long-sleeved shirt or sweater for cooler moments, and have a waterproof jacket handy in case of rain or wind.
5. Swimwear: If you plan on taking a dip in the water, wear a swimsuit under your clothes or pack one separately. This way, you can easily change and enjoy a swim without any hassle.
6. Hats and Caps: In addition to sun protection, hats and caps can help keep your hair in place and protect your head from wind and spray.
7. Dry Bags: Invest in a good quality dry bag to keep your belongings safe and dry. This is especially important if you plan on taking your phone, wallet, or camera with you.
8. Life Jackets: Safety should always be a priority when sailing. Ensure that you have properly-sized life jackets for everyone onboard and wear them when necessary.
9. Sunglasses: Protect your eyes from the glare of the sun and the reflection off the water by wearing sunglasses with UV protection.
10. Accessories: Carry a small backpack or tote bag to store extra clothing, water, snacks, and any other essentials you may need during your sailing trip.
11. Comfortable Clothing: Choose loose-fitting, comfortable clothing that allows for ease of movement. Avoid tight-fitting clothes that might restrict your mobility.
Common Questions and Answers:
1. Can I wear shorts while sailing in the summer?
Yes, shorts are a popular choice for sailing in the summer. However, make sure they are made from quick-drying materials and provide enough coverage for protection.
2. Can I wear a dress or skirt?
While dresses and skirts can be worn, keep in mind that they may expose more skin to the sun and wind. Opt for longer lengths and consider wearing shorts or leggings underneath for added comfort.
3. Should I wear a wetsuit?
Wetsuits are not necessary for summer sailing in warm waters, but they can provide added insulation in cooler climates or for water sports activities.
4. What type of shoes should I wear?
Closed-toe, non-slip shoes such as boat shoes or sneakers are ideal for sailing. Avoid high heels, flip-flops, or any shoes without proper grip.
5. Can I wear jewelry while sailing?
It’s best to avoid wearing valuable or delicate jewelry while sailing, as there is a risk of losing or damaging it. Stick to simple and practical accessories.
6. What should I do if it gets colder while sailing?
Layering is key in case the temperature drops. Have a sweater or jacket on hand to stay warm when needed.
7. Should I bring a towel?
Yes, bringing a towel is a good idea. It can be used to dry off after swimming or to sit on during breaks.
8. Are there any clothing items I should avoid wearing?
Avoid wearing heavy or restrictive clothing, as well as anything that can easily get caught in ropes or other sailing equipment.
9. Can I wear makeup while sailing?
While it’s a personal choice, it’s best to keep makeup minimal and opt for water-resistant products to avoid smudging.
10. What should I wear if I get seasick easily?
Choose loose-fitting, breathable clothing made from natural fibers to help you stay comfortable if you experience seasickness. Also, consider wearing a Sea-Band or taking motion sickness medication if necessary.
11. Are there any specific clothing recommendations for night sailing?
For night sailing, wear warm layers, including a windproof jacket, and consider reflective clothing or accessories for increased visibility.
Remember, comfort, safety, and sun protection are key when deciding what to wear sailing in the summer. Dress appropriately, be prepared for changing weather conditions, and enjoy your time on the water.